Day in the Life of Me

Ok I’m already falling behind on the #MTBoS 2016 Blogging Initiative, but I will catch up! Somehow this week just got away from me, even though I read so many posts!

For Week 1, I’m choosing Option 2: Blog about a day in your life! My school is on an A-B block schedule, so I’ll actually do two days (maybe that will make up for me not posting this during the actual week it was supposed to be posted).


Monday 1/11

5:30am – Wake up to alarm. Based on the posts I’ve read, I’m one of the only ones in the #MTBoS that doesn’t hit snooze. I cut out the snooze button from my life a few years ago and it actually has made my mornings so much better. I’m not saying  I don’t wake up still tired, but I feel better getting up right away and I just set my alarm later.

6:15am – Done getting ready, make sure boyfriend gets out of bed (he’s already hit the snooze twice), put away the dishes I washed last night, sit on the couch under a blanket and check Twitter/Feedly/Facebook

6:45am – Grab lunch bag and head out the door, confirm that it is super cold, text boyfriend that he’ll have to scrape his car windows before he leaves, and turn on my heated seats right away in the car as I exit the garage

7:08am – Arrive at school, rush inside, enter my room and notice another poster has fallen, put it in the pile of other posters I need to put back up (the veteran teachers at my school say they’re surprised mine have stayed up this long)

7:10am – Run off some copies from what I had planned over the weekend, put my lunch bag in the mini-fridge in the teacher’s lounge/copy room, write the answer keys to the things I just printed

7:40am – Get the papers out that I will need for 1st and 2nd block. It is an A day today. Write the numbers on the board from the homework that we will be presenting, get tabs open on my laptop that I will need for 1A and 2A block.

7:50am -Plug laptop into monitor and project the starting screen for 1st block, put coat, hat, gloves back on to head outside for parking duty

7:55am – Another teacher comes outside and I ask him if he’s sure he has parking duty this week because I had written down that I did. He goes back inside and comes out with the duty schedule and it turns out there was a typo and I’m actually next week. I head back inside a little frustrated but also relieved because it was really cold.

7:57am – Hang my coat on my chair, high-five the students 2 already in my room and head out to stand at my door.

8:00am – 5 minute bell rings and students start dispersing to their classes, I high-five everyone at the door and greet them

8:05am – 1A block begins. This is my small Algebra II class – 12 students and one is absent. We do a warm up (101 Questions), students present homework problems, go over notes on Solving Quadratic Equations by Square Roots and Factoring, practice with groups, class ends at 9:26am

9:29am – After high-fiving students coming in during the passing period, my 2A block is College Algebra – 11 students and all present! We do a warm up (101 Questions), students present homework problems, go over notes on the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, practice with groups, class ends at 10:50am

10:53am – After high-fiving students coming in during the passing period, 3rd block is SRT (Student Resource Time) – 13 freshmen. After school announcements and pledge, I remind them that they will need a book for DEAR (Drop Everything And Read) Day tomorrow and they have the rest of the time to work and see teachers. I check in with each student that they will have something to read that is not on their Chromebook. One student comes in to talk to me about a homework problem she can’t figure out. Class ends at 11:23

11:26am – My 4A is planning block. I eat lunch during B lunch, so for the first half hour I clean up my desk, copy the notes I did in 1A for my absent student, check over what a student wrote for my absent slip and attach my copy of the notes to it, update the gradebook with who presented HW problems (each class has the requirement to present 4 HW problems each semester), check email

11:59am – Bell rings for B lunch and I head to the teacher’s lounge. I eat with 3 other teachers who also have B lunch. My lunch is leftover pasta, a yogurt, and a clementine.

12:29pm – Bell rings for the end of B lunch and I use the rest of the time to plan (nothing to grade). I make some copies and get my room ready for 5A.

1:34pm – After high-fiving students coming in during the passing period, my 5A is Algebra I – 15 students and 1 absent. We do a warm up (101 Questions), students present homework problems, do a review activity on solving inequalities that my co-teacher planned in groups of 3, tried to do a solving inequalities row game that didn’t really work :(, class ends at 2:57 for students to put away Chromebooks and I head out to the hallway to monitor until all the students are gone.

3:05pm – I have to leave within 40 minutes, so I quickly write everything on my board that I’ll need for tomorrow (Date equation, goals, HW, agenda for each class), make sure I have papers ready for 1B tomorrow, finish absent slip from 5A.

3:40pm – Leave school to head to boyfriend’s school 45 minutes away because I tutor some of his students

4:45pm – Tutor a student in Pre-Calc. He is working on operations on functions. He has Jazz Band at 6 so I end with him at 5:53 even though I really wanted to get through one more problem with him.

6pm – Tutor a college student for the first time for ACT prep. We get through 34 questions in an hour but she says that she understands how to do the problems much better. She is hoping to raise her score by at least 1 in the math section so that she can meet the requirements to apply to be a Special Education teacher.

7pm – Do some work in the band office while I wait for boyfriend to finish Jazz Band rehearsal.

7:30pm – Go to dinner at a local bar and then head back to his school because we are finishing a project that he has to have done for tomorrow

9:15pm – Finish project and head home

9:35pm – Arrive back home, watch an episode of South Park while checking Twitter/Feedly/Facebook

10pm – Pack lunch for tomorrow (leftover pasta, yogurt, clementine – sound familiar?), set out clothes, get ready for bed

10:15pm – Sleep

Tuesday 1/12

5:30-7:08 – Same as yesterday except not as cold and no posters fell (YAY!)

7:10 – Room is already ready for start of the day, wonder why I get to school so early sometimes, do a little planning

7:55 – Head out to the hallway and high-five students coming in

8:05 – 1B is my big Algebra II class – 24 students, 1 absent. Same agenda as 1A.

9:29 – 2B is my planning block. I work with some students that have Special Education Resource that block, check email, update gradebook, plan a little

10:53 – 3B is same as 3A (SRT with 13 freshmen) but Tuesday is DEAR Day. Every student reads after the announcement and pledge. I had ordered Embedding Formative Assessment but it didn’t get in in time, so I re-read Embedded Formative Assessment next to some students that were having trouble staying quiet. Next time I will move them.

11:26 -After high-fiving students coming in during the passing period, my 4B is Calculus – 8 students, all present. We have B lunch so in the first part of class we do a warm up (101 Questions) and students present homework problems.

11:59 – Bell rings for B lunch. I eat with 2 different teachers that also have B lunch

12:29 – Bell rings for end of B lunch, students come back and we go through a discovery activity on derivatives of inverse functions and summarize at the end with notes, class ends at 1:31

1:34 – After high-fiving students coming in during the passing period, my 5B is the same class as 5A, but on Tuesdays and Thursdays we do a program called ALEKS. They are all on their Chromebooks and about half go into my co-teacher’s room just to spread out. I meet with every student to look at their progress on amount of topics from the beginning to now (they all took a semester assessment on ALEKS last week) and set topic number goals for this quarter.

2:57 – students are dismissed and I monitor the hallway until all the students are gone

3:08 – One of my absent students from yesterday comes in to see what they missed. After she leaves, I work in my room on catching up on emails, making copies, getting my room ready for tomorrow, planning, making a to-do list

5:20 – Leave school

5:45 – Get home, call my parents, go for a 20-min run on the treadmill, shower, make a salad for dinner, eat while watching a rerun of Seinfeld, check Twitter/Feedly/Facebook, plan on my laptop while watching more reruns of Seinfeld

8:10 – Boyfriend gets home from work (he to conduct pep band for a basketball game at his school), he brings pizza, I eat some pizza, we watch NCIS and then are tied into watching NCIS: New Orleans because it was a crossover

10:00 – Wonder how it got so late (oh yeah, NCIS…) pack lunch (leftover pizza, yogurt, clementine), set out clothes for tomorrow, get ready for bed

10:15 – Try to fall asleep while thinking about how I should have done more schoolwork.

After writing all this (and if you read all of this I applaud your efforts here – this was long), I am seeing that these were probably the two days that I did the least work at home, but I also didn’t have that stressful of a week. I guess life can go on without me spending every waking moment working on school stuff.

Qui l’eût cru?



5 thoughts on “Day in the Life of Me

  1. Hi Marissa, I loved your blog post!!!! You have some packed days!!! I love your warm-up – 101 questions. I’d like to try it with my 2nd through 5th graders. I have never heard of Feedly but now I want to explore it because if you make time to look at it with your busy schedule, it must be pretty good! I am very interested in formative assessment so I will take a look at Embedding Formative Assessment that you referred to in your post. Love your post – so I followed your blog. I hope you will consider checking out and consider following.


  2. Thank you for your post – such busy days! I’m curious how you deal with having a class split up by lunch. That happened to me one year and I hated it. It seemed like having two mini-classes instead of one class. It was difficult to go into any depth on anything. By the way – I don’t kit the snooze button either. 🙂


    • I’m so sorry – I totally thought I responded to this! The class split by lunch is definitely not ideal. But they save the lab classes to be the ones that aren’t split. So pretty much before lunch is always a warm up and going over homework and sometimes we get into a little intro but I really hate starting something and then coming back to it in half an hour. So I usually don’t do anything new until after lunch when I have them for that hour. It’s probably not the best use of time, but luckily it’s my Calculus class so they’re good about staying focused after lunch. I’m not sure if it would be the same if it was, say, my freshman co-taught Algebra I class.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s