My school have classes go by semesters so all the students’ schedules switch after winter break. I will have some of my same students but many, if not most, will be different. Maybe it’s stupid to spend a week again on beginning of the year stuff, but I want to build the same kinds of relationships that I did first semester, and I attribute those to how I spent my first week. However, I have to change things up a bit since some of my students will have already had me.
This semester will be pretty much all geometry in Math 2. We will start with parallel/perpendicular lines and angle properties, then similarity, surface area/volume, right triangle trig, and end with circles. I need to figure out a way to get $125 to buy the Kuta Geometry software…who knows of a good grant?!
My goals for this week are to invoke curiosity and create a classroom culture that includes working together and making mistakes
Every day I will:
- Have all students make/use Name Tents (last semester these were amazing, you should really do this if you haven’t yet)
- Show a video from Jo Boaler’s Week of Inspirational Math
Day 1: Main theme – Work Together
- Find Someone Who… .docx File Here
- Personality Coordinates Ice Breaker, then whole class like the last featured comment here
- HW – All About Me worksheet .doc File Here that I modified from my old math coach Kelly @andsoonandsoon
Day 2: Main Theme – Make mistakes (and also work together)
- Give them syllabus and have students that had me last semester talk about procedures
- Advice from first semester
- Sara’s How Grand Is Your Total?
- HW – Signed syllabus, Mathematics is… and Mathematicians do… (did this first semester, pretty informally, and liked being able to talk about the results)
Day 3: Main Theme – Curiosity, but honestly also getting some administrative stuff out of the way
- Website quest w/student survey and Desmos Activity, probably Central Park, because of the solving equations, or Penny Circle, because of the proportions.
- HW – Signed syllabus, Solving Linear Equations Algebra by Example (reviewing because they’ll need to do this in the first unit)
Day 4: Main Theme – Curiosity, working together, making mistakes
- Get to Know Ms. Walczak w/Plickers – gotta change up my questions from first semester, but probably will still keep some just to keep my students who already had me on their toes
- Talk about Mathematics HW answers – discuss what I received and come to a class consensus about what mathematics is and what mathematics do
- Beagle and Escalator videos from Sara, because the new kids will be super confused about why my previous students and I keep talking about them
- Week of Inspirational Math Paper Folding OR some other puzzle I’m not sure of yet
- HW – Signed syllabus, More Solving Linear Equations Algebra by Example
Day 5: Main Theme – Cry
- Pre-Course Test blegh
If any class ends early I’ll tempt them with Petals Around the Rose. I feel like I’ve overplanned each day, though, so I doubt that will happen. I am least happy with my Day 4 Plans. I’ll probably change my mind about everything before school starts back up again, but this is the most planned I’ve ever felt for first days.
Edit 12/27: I’m not going to do any of the homework assignments for homework anymore. I have decided to try no homework this semester. I’ll leave those HW assignments in the post, but now I’ll only do the signed syllabus for HW and the rest will be done in class, like during their survey or exit slip name tents.
J’aime bien soyait organisée à l’avance!