Day 21: Tin Man!

The Tin Men have arrived! This activity was awesome! I couldn’t believe how well it worked. It took a total of about 4 hours and 90% of the students were working that entire time. I used pretty much all of Elissa Miller’s Tin Man stuff. The reflection was homework so I will be reading that tomorrow. I only had six groups in summer school but 4/6 groups got the surface area right (I gave all groups a 5% error because I know the sphere and cone are difficult to wrap) and the other two got more aluminum foil after a point deduction on the project, but they weren’t that far off. One group also needed more time, but finished it after the end of class. It was tough to get to the start of similarity after this – next time I would try to have it all on one day.

J’ai dormi avant de publier ce message. Je me suis fatiguée, je suppose…

Advertisements

Day 20: Volume and Surface Area (and Tin Men)

Today was mostly review on Surface Area and Volume. We did Deal or No Deal review again and I got much better investment from the students than last time. I was just going to do it for an hour but it ended up going another half an hour because the kids just wanted to continue.

After their test, we got started on the Tin Man Project. So far they’re really into it. I was so surprised by how many cardboard objects we got! I meant to take a picture of them all before the students got to them. I was worried since I was really the only one that had brought anything in until today. I didn’t think to send out an all-staff email to see if other teachers could bring in stuff but it turned out fine! Here’s some of their work so far and they will hopefully finish tomorrow:

Il y a encore beaucoup de travail à faire pour ce projet.

Day 19: Volume and Spheres

I love the surface area and volume unit and like Lisa Bejarano, I just wish there was more time for all the cool projects out there! I already had a couple that I knew I would do, but coming across Lisa’s blog post opened up so many more that all seem so awesome. It was hard to choose what to pick. But I decided on doing many 3 Act Tasks – the File Cabinet yesterday, and then today I did Dan Meyer’s You Pour, I Choose and Meatballs. I worked them in the same way that I did the File Cabinet yesterday, so they take a long time, but students are engaged, curious, and working the whole time. I had a bunch of other activities cued up from Lisa’s list but I will have to see if there is maybe time at the end of the semester during final review. I will be doing Elissa Miller’s Tin Man Surface Area Project next class now that we’ve talked about surface area of spheres. I’m very excited to see how that goes!

Funny asides:

  • Apparently when I said “sphere”, a good chunk of the class thought I said “spear”. So they were preparing themselves for “working with spears tomorrow”…
  • I got comments from the class about how I know a lot of guy math teachers that are in my videos. I showed two male teachers, and not my videos. But high schoolers can think what they want…
  • Before doing the Meatballs task, I told them about how I was a terrible cook and always run into problems when I try to cook a real meal. I said that the next video is something I still haven’t learned from and run into this problem too often. Had them guess what kind of problems I could run into making spaghetti and meatballs with marinara sauce. The guesses were hilarious and the cooking stories that came from it were even better.

J’aime que mes étudiants ont un sens de l’humour, même avec un cours d’été.

Day 18: Surface Area of Prisms and Pyramids

Today started our unit on solids. I started by doing Andrew Stadel’s File Cabinet 3-Act task. It was a great way to introduce the concept of concept area. I had students take 10 minutes to try to work out the answer and then had students talk with a random partner (had the students line up in order by the last two digits of their phone number and paired with the person next to them). After another 5 (really 10) minutes, those pairs had to give me one number that they thought was correct. I wrote all their guesses on the board and we talked through a couple of the class’s strategies. I gave another few minutes to let the pairs change some answers now that they’ve heard the discussion. Then, we watched the first part of the answer, until Mr. Stadel had finished one side. Once again, I gave a few minutes for the pairs to adjust any answers if needed. Then, we watched until he had finished four sides (the lateral area as we would come to define). The handles were a big focus point for the class – after seeing what he did with the handles, I gave students another few minutes to adjust their answers until we were ready for the big reveal. I now had 4 correct answers on the board and 4 others that were slightly off, but all were closer than what was given in the first round. The last post-it was great – students were excited to find out what it was and it gave a great tie-in to finding surface area.

Students then did a lot of practice in finding surface areas of prisms and pyramids. We get into surface area of spheres tomorrow, along with volume, and I’m hoping to be able to do Elissa Miller’s Tin Man Surface Area Project. I’m hoping to be able to get a few more cardboard objects before Monday, which is when I predict we will be able to start it. I’m so excited to try it!

Mes étudiants aiment bien le suspense d’une tâche mathématique.